Wednesday, October 20, 2004

museum

The Met, my all time favourite.
I remember the first time I went to a museum. My one and only little sis wasn’t born, I was still in elementary school, and my big brother was still into dinosaurs. The whole family went and all I can remember was the dust, the bones, the eerie weapons and the weird looking stones. My folks took us to several museums after the first one. The one that I remember was The National Museum or Musium Gajah, with all the same characteristics as the first except that the items were displayed in the dark rooms. Thus the image of museum imprinted in my mind: scary and boring.
Then I was blessed enough to go to London and my uncle took me to the National Gallery. I was not impressed because he took me to see all the paintings of rich people from the past, paintings of battles, fat naked lady bathing, dying old man, gods and goddesses, torture etc. It was interesting but the only paintings I could digest is impressionism (I found out later that The Gallery hold quite a huge collection of that era, but my uncle didn’t took me there because he didn’t like them. boohoo……) so I didn’t enjoy it too much. And then he took me to British Museum and it was so much fun!!!! I no longer remember what’s on display but the image of old, boring and scary museum was all gone. This museum is bright, the display looked old but they were properly maintenanced. No more boring museums.
Ever since that trip, I always look forward to go to the museum whenever I had the chance to travel abroad. I’m not into history but I love to picture how people in different era lived. I imagined how this particular items on display have survived, events they had gone through, people who used them. Going to the museum for me is like window shopping to this giant store but I don’t have to worry that I’ll want anything on display because it’s not for sale. Go to the Museum store, then I’ll start to panic. ;p

No comments: