The long holiday is over. My paper is overdue and I have to start writing again. In very formal, scientifically believable english. As usual, am trying to fish out any ideas by distraction: writing about completely incoherent topic :p
I’ve been listing the pros and cons of staying in my bubble. Starting to gather up courage to burst it, venturing other terrain, embarking on new adventures, whatever.
Am going shopping for alternatives and last night I made a teensy weensy step out of my box to attend a campaign dinner. of course I made sure that some of my colleagues will be there and drag chubbs along for the ride. The function itself was okay, I didn’t expect much anyway.
Then came the get-to-know-the-candidate session.
gosh… its been soooooo bloody loooong since I listened to such bollocks. no, am not talking about the candidate. She was okay, down to earth, not making any hard to keep promises and or some sort of lip services. It’s the people who tried to get to know her better. People who tried to be the center of attention, the thunder thiefs.
I remembered the first year of my undergrad in this old-rigid-establishment. I was fascinated by those students who hung out on the specific part of the student centre, talking about socialism, marxism and whatnot. Those rebels with a cause. They looked so smart and wise, caring for the little people the corrupt government neglect for the sake of making their cronies rich. Then I went home, ready to show what I’ve heard there to my dad and big bro. and within a discussion, they showed me what was wrong with those utopian thoughts, how they are not going to work by simple logic. Of course it was unfair since they have read, discuss and argue about various concepts about it, but the important thing is that they taught me that reading those books would not be complete without reading other school of thoughts.
Some of the thunder thiefs are really smart and wise, but they usually did not talk that much and they were actually capable of really stealing thunders. Those were the inspiring kinds, who really know what they were talking about and ready to share what they know for the sake of spreading knowledge. Kudos for them.
Some others are crappy opportunists and future politicians who shamelessly abandon their duties to attend classes and taking part in groupwork for the sake of helping those little people who paid tax that is used to partially pay for the activists higher education in this rigidly old but prestigious institution. Am not making a generalization of those lot, but I happened to know some people who belonged to this segment and share the same characteristics. They usually use big words, talking about stellar ideas of how this world must be run and how you can contribute. Some of them are very persuasive, some are just snotty and snobby: oh am such an activist I consider taking a bath a luxury or am such an activist I don’t have time to do my homework or sit together to discuss such an unimportant things like the report that OUR group suppose to submit.
I sooo hate the word ‘perjuangan’ and ‘aku’ they used so often. And the level of insicerity when they try to befriend people is just so obvious. They popped in and out of the class, never bother to stay and chat with you the whole semester and then BAM! ….. act like you are their bestest of friends during the campaign season.
I became immune to those people and last night, I could not help but giggle to realize that they still exist, along with the big bollocks, trying to steal the candidate’s thunder.
Life is so interesting!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment